Tuesday, July 8, 2003

I went to use one of the conference room computers this morning (in order to view a Word document someone sent me... I didn't have the proper installation or somesuch on my Win4Lin directory, but I digress). Clicked on Start. Clicked on Open Office Document.

Bong. Error 7923: Could not find Microsoft XP installation media, check your network connections and CD-ROM settings, or view the help file located at some obnoxiously long path in a hidden directory.

Huh? Whatever. Cancel. Word pops up. Then the same 7923 error. Click on cancel. Another Word window pops up and another 7923 error. Ad infinitium.

Bugged IT about it, and they uninstalled and reinstalled Office without blinking an eye. They're used to this.

I couldn't help but be amused. What other industry has its customers so beaten down that they accept this kind of routine as normal?

I'm not saying the software industry is alone in producing crappy products; for example, there are auto mechanics out there who are either clumsy, or unethical, or both, who will break two parts of your car while trying to fix one, but usually we get (rightfully) irate about this.

Actually, though, consumer electronics are starting to fall down the same path. My Sony DVD player has stopped playing certain discs, and getting it repaired would cost more than buying a new one. (I did eventually find out how to get into the service menu and adjust it so that it works again, though.) I, like many others from what I've read on various lists about these same DVD players, claim to have sworn off Sony products, but deep down, I know that I'll buy a new Sony MegaTroniTrin XP-3JS because it's shiny and brush it off with a "Eh, this one will probably be better."

Sad.

No comments: