Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Our forecast is calling for snow or a possible thunderstorm. Er... okay. That's an odd combo. Then again, the jet stream is running down to Texas and back up to southern Ontario. Commuting home tonight was ok, as long as you didn't need to see, steer, or brake; we got about 6 inches of snow last night, a quarter inch of ice during the day, and then freezing rain during the evening rush.

Ugh.

Watched Baz Luhrmann's adaption of Romeo and Juliet again. I love Shakespeare; as a result, I originally thought I'd hate Luhrmann's modernisation. Instead, I find it splendid. My high school Shakespeare teacher asserted that if the ol' Bard were around today, he'd smile and say, "It hasn't changed a bit." R&J proves this point well.

Actually, the one thing I don't care for is the way Luhrmann does some camera speedup tricks, accompanied with cartoonish sound effects, at the beginning of his films (he did this in Moulin Rouge, too). It doesn't add anything; it's just a mildly annoying distraction. Apparently, he or his editors must think so, too, because they're gone mid-feature.

No comments: