Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Chrome...

I'm trying out the new browser that Google has tossed together. But my first impression: what the heck? It insists on installing itself for each and every user of a given computer? WTF?

That said, browsing my usual websites shows that it is quite zippy. It also imported all of my bookmarks, saved passwords, and browsing history from Firefox without a hitch (though I did have to shut down Firefox first -- I'm guessing Firefox doesn't leave files in a consistent state while it runs and doesn't provide APIs for other apps to access this information).

It does spawn a bunch of processes, as expected. Even show, with three tabs loaded, it's using less than 100 MB of memory; Firefox 3, by comparison, eats up around 300 MB just to start up.

Firefox: I'm not giving up on you just yet, but you're on notice.

No comments: