Monday, February 25, 2002

Well, got out of that meeting without it being held.

To recap: I interviewed someone on Friday for a position in my group (which currently consists of two people, myself and my manager -- we're looking to expand). Had the basics of the knowledge we were looking for, but in-depth was less certain. He also lacked some of the basic programming knowledge we generally expect, sending up a few red flags.

On the other hand, he seemed fairly bright and adaptable, and was generally a nice guy.

Since he was interviewing for my group, my opinion weighed a bit more than others. Generally, I have a pretty good idea of whether someone is a thumbs-up or thumbs-down. In this case, I was quite uncertain.

I don't like having so much influence on someone's future without being more certain. I especially dislike telling nice people no.

In the end, enough people gave him a thumbs-down to make the meeting unnecessary.

Next meeting (10 am): Angry-ish manager does not like our imposing of a deadline (Rodney, my manager, has decided that I need a firm date by which my work with this other group will be completed, so they can't keep tacking on requirements and getting my labour for free). At the moment, I'm hoping to duck it. We'll see.

No comments: