Friday, March 25, 2005

Why you shouldn't use bad file sharing programs...

My cable modem was on the fritz over the last few days. Comcast came out today and found out that:

  1. Another crew had installed an amplifier on the line in my neighborhood.
  2. The amplifier I had was no longer necessary -- in fact, it was overloading the signal on the cable modem.
  3. My cable line had a (fairly old) block on it, making us all wonder how the modem ever worked.


Anyway, after they left, I found the response to be a tad sluggish. I pulled out a network analysis program... and found that my line was being barraged with requests from Gnutella (think Napster) clients.


This pissed me off. There's no way I could block them, either. So I decided to write a program to accept their requests and send garbage back. Then I discovered that Gnutella has this "server discovery" feature -- a server can say, hey, you might try this other server over here, it probably has good stuff, too. At the suggestion of some guys on IRC, I implemented this feature -- except my version returns the addresses for the Recording Industry Association of America and Motion Picture Association of America. I'm sure they'll be interested.


Moral of the story: don't steal my bandwidth.

No comments: