Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Down *again*?!

So... I'm posting this from links. Which is actually fairly navigable, especially compare to lynx.

But why am I posting from links as opposed to Mozilla, you ask? Well, see, when I got in, I went to my (open) Mozilla mail window, clicked on "Get Mail"... and watched the whole thing come crashing down. Hm. Annoying, but, hey, Moz does crash every so often.

I click on the icon to launch Mozilla... nothing happens.

Ok, that's a bit odd. Go to a shell to kill off any errant Mozilla processes... it dies.

Then my desktop starts disintegrating... window fragments all over the place, stuff disappearing... like something out of a bad sci-fi movie. Eventually, I find myself logged out.

The cause of all this? Oh, well, see... our IT folks had our applications file server set up in such a way that it didn't provide notifications when a drive went down. Apparently, one drive had died who-knows-how-long-ago, and a second died this morning, taking the entire server with it.

Ah, yes. So we now have ~60 people sitting idle, doing stuff like posting to their LiveJournal, while the ~1.5 TB raid array gets rebuilt.

No comments: